Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My New Toy

I mentioned awhile ago that I love indexing and all things history related in general. When it comes to doing my own family history, I haven't done much. Most of my dad's line is done, and my mom and grandma are working on my mom's line. So, I decided a couple of years ago to start working on James' family tree...armed only with a few names, dates and places written in his baby book, I set off to see what I could find. I found his great grandmother on a census from 1911, but I didn't get any further than that. Well, on Monday night I decided to try again - ancestry.ca has a 2 week free trial so I signed up and started searching names.


That great grandmother I couldn't find anymore information about...I found her marriage certificate! Her name was slightly different, which is probably why I couldn't find her before. Anyways, I noticed that someone had a family tree connected to James' great grandfather - lo and behold, someone has done a TON of family history work on one of James' lines! Not only did I find lots of full names, dates, and places, I found pictures too! I have pictures going 5 generations back, but this one was my favorite - this guy's name was also James Johnson, and I think he was James' great great uncle:


The first time I saw this picture I thought "Hey look, someone put my husband in old timey clothes!" The face shape, nose, stature...clearly James is a Johnson through and through!
So, I've officially got the bug now...all of my precious TV time has been cut out in favour of going through this public family tree and recording every bit of information I can. I've found a lot of info but there is so much more to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment