Friday, June 11, 2010

Food Storage Rice Pilaf

I discovered a super yummy way to make rice tonight, using only shelf stable ingredients (several of which were right from the storehouse). Since some members of my family may be celiacs, I've been trying to come up with more interesting things to do with rice, so this was perfect.

Food Storage Rice Pilaf
(all amounts are approximate, since I didn't really measure)

3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups rice (you could totally use storehouse rice, but I had Uncle Ben's on hand)
1/4 cup dehydrated carrots
1/4 cup dehydrated onions
1 box chicken broth (at least 3 cups) (homemade stock would be perfect too!)

Heat olive oil in a medium pot on med-high, then add rice. Stir for a few minutes until rice is starting to brown. Add carrots, onions and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer until done. Voila!

The only change I would make would be to add some parsely flakes for colour. I served this with pork chops but it would be a great side for a lot of dishes. You could also do this like regular rice without the olive oil if you're watching calories, but browning rice gives it a nice nutty flavour. (Besides, olive oil is good for you. Just do it!! ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment