Thursday, January 27, 2011

Five Little Degrees

It's amazing what a temperature of 5 little degrees above zero in January can do for one's psyche...I swear I feel like a new person! Being a one car family, the frigid temperatures and the more than 2 feet of snow we've gotten this month has basically made me a shut in. But today the sun is shining, the snow is melting (if only a little bit!) and the kids and I got out there and enjoyed it. I feel lighter, more energized, and definitely more productive!

Not that the past month has been a total waste, mind you. I've been in the kitchen constantly, whipping up all sorts of gluten free stuff. Emmett's preschool provides a snack every day, which at least half the time isn't safe for him to have. I could just send whatever I have on hand along, but I really don't want him to feel left out so I've tried to send along a GF version of the day's snack whenever I can. Today they're having chicken noodle soup and crackers, so I sent along some homemade chicken rice soup (even made the stock from scratch!) and some GF "saltines". (Which, no joke, are about 10 times better than actual saltines...buttery and with that crunchy cracker texture!) Earlier this week I sent GF gingerbread dough so Em could make cookies with the other kids (and then hunt for them after they "ran away" from the oven!). James says I'm doing a great job at making sure he doesn't feel deprived. It's nice to know I'm good for something! ;)

In other Emmett news, he'll be going to the full day kindergarten program at Tevie Miller School (a special needs school for kids with communication disorders/delays). James and I were really impressed with our school tour and we think he's going to do amazing there! The early ed program at Hazeldean has already done wonders for him...he has made SO much progress in the last year. Now he can say things like "Mommy, I no go to school. I want to stay home and watch "Espiggable Me". My friends is nothing there." Every day he tells me that his friends aren't at school so he can't go either. Interesting excuse, I must say! (Of course once he gets to school he's so excited he can barely remember to take his coat off ;))

Seth is moving into a "copy everything the adults say" phase, and starting to verbalize a lot more. We drove by McD's the other day and heard sweet little cries of "Fwies!! Fwies!!" from the backseat. His favorite thing right now is trying on James' shoes and hats, while checking himself out in the mirror and calling himself "pretty!!". What a character!

James is going to school in 1 month, for what will hopefully be the last time. I am very much looking forward to having the apprenticeship portion of his career over and done with (although not nearly as badly as he is, I assure you). At least he'll be heading back to class in a sweet new ride...our old car needed major repairs, again, so we decided to get a new car. We ended up buying a Toyota Matrix lease return...talk about an upgrade! Now, I'm very much a low maintenance, frugal/simple living, couldn't care less about appearances kind of girl, so it's super weird for me to be driving this really nice new car. Maybe it'll grow on me (I will admit, I'm loving the working trunk and heating system. Yeah, it doesn't take much to impress me.). James is having the time of his life though! Now he can worry about school and not about stalling out randomly on the Yellowhead, so that'll be a nice change. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment