Thursday, March 10, 2011

Our Excitement for the Day (/Month/Year/Life)

I'd been hoping for something blog-worthy to happen...be careful what you wish for!

Let me set the scene for you: Emmett's school bus has just arrived, and I throw my coat and boots on to dash outside and get him. Please note: I have just worked out and I am sweaty, have seriously greasy hair and am wearing yoga capri pants. I leave Seth inside while I get Emmett off the bus, and Em and I come up to the front door. Which is locked.

Please also note that all house keys are either inside the house, or with James (who is a 45 minute commute away). My cell is also in the house, of course.

Okay, what to do? Don't panic, don't panic...at this point Seth is sitting on the other side of the door, screaming. I know my back door is locked (with the deadbolt), so that option is out. I ended up calling 911 from a neighbors house, and 2 nice police officers showed up a few minutes later. They calmed me down enough to remember that we could probably break in through one of the living room windows in the backyard.

Let me describe the current state of my backyard...the grassy area behind my backyard literally has higher than knee deep snow, some of which is packed, some not. The officers and I were randomly sinking into it as we treked down 9 units to get to my yard. The yard itself only has 2 feet of snow, but also about 14 bags of garbage and recycling that we've been throwing back there to avoid hiking it down to the dumpster about 150 yards away each time we have a full bag. I figured, who cares, no one can even get to the backyard, no one is going to see it!

So we finally get into my garbage pile/yard, and I'm looking through the window and Sethers is nowhere to be found. Greeeeeat. Meanwhile, one of the officers is cutting the screen off of my window, which *thankfully* was not locked. This window is about 12x18 inches, by the way. We figured the easiest thing to do would be to fish Emmett through the window and get him to open the door. (Emmett, BTW, has been totally cool up to the point and clearly doesn't even know something is wrong. He's been mostly admiring the officers' nifty uniforms/belts!) We stick Em through the window and instantly he knows something is not right and starts to panic. He's quite upset and can't manage the back door deadbolt, but we convince him to go unlock the front door and open it. Meanwhile, Seth comes to the window, and is quite amused that mommy and two strangers have just put his big brother through it!

The officers and I head back through the snow and get to the front door...Emmett is rather upset (although he was being heavily praised for saving the day!), Seth is performing a little jig for our visitors, and I'm (just barely) holding it together. All's well that ends well, and the officers are on their way. I'll probably be their easiest call of the shift!

I've learned my lesson...NEVER step foot outside the door without my key. And take my garbage out!

No comments:

Post a Comment