Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Corner Drugstore

One of the things I really love about living where we do is how close we are to everything. I don't have vehicle access during the day, which can be a challenge, but I have enough things within walking distance that we haven't suffered too much. We have an excellent medi-centre literally steps from my back door, which has really come in handy. I took Seth there today to get him a stronger prescription for what feels like his 137th eye infection (he's got a blocked tear duct that will probably have to be surgically opened), and then hit the mom and pop drugstore next door to get his new eye drops.

I have fond memories of heading to the mom and pop drugstore near my house as a kid. My brother and I would head there immediately after receiving our $1 allowance - they had penny candy on a rotating display right near the front door. Kyle and I would usually get 100 sours (in a little brown paper bag), and then eat as many as we could before the insides of our mouth were too raw to continue. This drugstore by my house is very similar...just a few of each item on the shelves, discount chocolate bars, "surprise bags" (for a boy or a girl) and small candies for a nickel. I love the idea of the boys going over there and carefully counting out their allowance money for the patient older lady behind the counter. Admittedly, I do 99% of my shopping at the big chain stores, but there's something to be said for friendly little small businesses just down the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment