Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Associations

I consider myself a pretty tough chick...not much scares me. I can suck it up and get through anything if I have to. I've given birth twice, the second time with very little pain medication. However, I'm a COMPLETE baby when it comes to having a sore throat. Despite as much rest as I can manage and a healthy dose of Cold FX, I've finally succumbed to the cold that's been running rampant through my house. I've got a very sore throat and can't sleep. Everytime I get sick I pray for the sore throat part to end...I'll take a nagging cough and being plugged up over the throat thing every time.

I think it all goes back to the worst sore throat of my life...it was St. Patrick's day when I was a young teenager. I remember waking up that day and decided to microwave a chocolate St. Patrick's day cupcake for breakfast...eating that thing was like choking down broken glass. Later that day we went to this Eastern Star thing of my grandma's - it was a dinner and they had Irish dancers performing. I told my mom I was too sick to go but I think she figured I was playing it up like a teenage drama queen to get out of going to my grandma's thing. So, I had to go. I think my mom figured out that I really WAS that sick after getting down a couple of teaspoons of jello for dinner and then basically curling up in a corner for the rest of it. I clearly remember watching the dancers and praying they would finish so I could just go HOME!

Anyways, to this day I can't eat a St. Patrick's day cupcake or watch Irish dancers. Maybe one day one of my grandchildren will offer me a delicious cupcake with a jaunty leprechaun sitting on top, and I will start telling them all this and they will be thinking "Great, Grandma's telling another one of her stories that doesn't go anywhere." Like, that time I took the ferry to Shelbyville to get a new heel for my shoe...

Well, at least Emmett seems to be doing better...it's 3:30 am but he's literally jumping up and down beside me shouting "Dance dance dance!". At least one of us is feeling good right now!

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHA! That last part about Emmett is hilarious. Especially when I think of James and Seth sleeping peaceably.
    Also: I so want to make St. Patrick's Day cupcakes this year! (Btw, I have never heard of "St. Patrick's Day cupcakes"...)

    ReplyDelete