Thursday, December 3, 2009

I was just on the radio!!

Didja hear me? Huh? Huh? Didja???

Yeah, probably not. ;) Anyhoo, I usually listen to Dave Ramsey's radio show in the afternoons while I'm cleaning (read: scraping who knows how old applesauce off the wall that I just noticed) on a local Christian radio station. Sometimes I keep it on that station afterwards and listen to this call-in talk radio show...I'm an opinon junkie and I love reading/hearing other people's opinions (even if the opinions on this show are usually a little too far right for my tastes).

The show called a bunch of stores and asked them what the policy was this year on being allowed to say "Merry Christmas" (for the record, 4 out of 5 stores were OK with Merry Christmas or didn't have a policy). He brought this up because apparently James Dobson (a big name in the evangelical Christian world for those not in the know) has been suggesting for a few years now that Christians not patronize stores that won't allow their employees to wish you a Merry Christmas.

Uh, OK.

So, I called in during a commerical break and I got on right away when they came back on air, which was pretty cool! I told the host that I was a Christian and that I didn't care in the least what a store's policy was, because Christmas is NOT about presents and shopping. Sure, those things are nice, but that's not why we're celebrating! I pointed out that we are a multi-cultural and multi-faith society and that it doesn't make sense business wise to cater to one religion, and I respect that. I suggested that instead of worrying about what the cashier at Zellers says to us we could perhaps spend the season doing charity work and setting a good example. I also said that I was trying to teach my children the true meaning of Christmas and that I wasn't going to focus on what the STORES are doing.

The host basically agreed with my "Christmas is not about presents" thing, and didn't say much else. After I got off the phone I turned the radio back on and he was saying that my call reminded him of a sound clip of some comedian he had heard...cue some "comedian" frothing at the mouth about how THE FOUNDING FATHERS were Christian and that THIS COUNTRY was founded on the BIBLE and if YOU don't like it TOO BAD because HE is going to say MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY CHRISSSSSSSSSTMAS!!!!!

Yeeeeah. Totally not what I was saying at all. My point was about businesses, not individuals. But hey, I got to have my say...and maybe someone out there agreed with me!

2 comments:

  1. Falalalala lala Kaching!
    (Kyle and I watched that episode tonight and I immediately thought of you, so it's funny that this post is about how Christmas shouldn't be about spending money.)

    For the record: I really feel that Emmett and Seth will not feel the Christmas spirit if STRANGERS do not wish them a merry Christmas... oh wait. No I don't. ;-)

    My alternative: Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally think that most, if not all, radio talk show hosts are narsasists who try to use callers to support their point of view. They don't care at all about learning, debate, or the other person's point of view. Sounds to me like you bested him pretty good.

    ReplyDelete