Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Eve Eve

I am being super lazy today...spending way too much time on the computer and goofing off with the boys and not enough time getting stuff done. It always feels like the last couple of days before Christmas drag, and that always makes me feel super unproductive.

Christmas sure is different as an adult...and at 28 I feel like I'm only now adjusting. Christmas as a kid feels so magical...all of these decorations and goodies seem to just fly out of nowhere, and all *you* have to do is attempt to get some sleep on Christmas eve/count the minutes until you're allowed to get your stocking on Christmas morning. (I think 5:30 or 6am was the rule)

Then you grow up and realize how much work Christmas is...the shopping, decorating, baking and wrapping, not to mention trying to schedule time between various families while not missing out on anything. Don't get me wrong, Christmas is still great, but part of me kinda misses the days when all I had to do was wrap a few gifts from the dollar store (bought with someone else's money), eat my Captain Crunch and unwrap my mountain o' gifts. Now it feels like most of this year will be spent trying to make sure my kids eat something other than cookies, only open their own gifts, and stay out of the relatives' breakables.

Maybe that's the crux of the issue...travelling with small kids is a massive pain in the patootie, even if it's just grandma and grandpa's house, and Christmas = The Friends and Family World Tour. I'm just going to try and let the small stuff go and enjoy them opening their gifts, and maybe tell my mother in law to just put the dang marble chess set away already. (Love you Joanne!)

No comments:

Post a Comment